In preparation for Fitbloggin11, I put a shout out on twitter of what folks would like to know about me. Here are some of the questions (have a question, shoot me an email or message me through Twitter!).
- Why did you start blogging? See "about me" page
- Why did you start running? I wrote a guest post for the Sisterhood of the Shrinking Jeans back in April 2011 about my running journey. Go here to check it out!
- If you could only eat one food for the rest of your life what would it be? This question (or similar - ie "what's your favorite food" came from a few people. OMG this is so hard to answer. I'm supposed to be blogging about fitness and whatnot, but if I could only choose one food for the rest of my life it would be pizza. Sausage, pepperoni, mushrooms, green peppers and black olives. Yes, I like my sodium.
- How is your closet organized? season? sleeve length? color? A great question from Brooke. All of the above and yet, none of the above. It's organized seasonally and by color and shirt-type, but the floor of the closet is always a colossal mess. Here, a picture's worth a thousand words:
- What is your favorite drink? I love Oberon from Bell's Kalamazoo Brewing, but it's only available in the summer. I triple puffy heart martinis of all flavors. If I want to drink without having a bunch of extra calories, I order Sailor Jerry Spiced Rum or Captain Lime with Diet Coke. (Wow, I sound like I have a bit of a problem!)
- Why the bleep are you friends with weirdos like me? Because, Brooke, you always make me smile and I love you.
- Do you and M have "freebie" celebrities on a list "just in case" and if so, who is yours? Brooke's questions rock :) Yes, We do. It's called The 5 list. Mine, in no particular order: Nathan Fillion, Josh Duhamel, John Cusack, Shamar Moore, Duane "The Rock" Johnson. *adding a bonus cuz I can - Ryan Reynolds cuz he's OMG YUM* You'll have to ask M for his list.
- Do you have any favorite childhood memories? Kirsten, you won't be surprised with this one. We went to Disney World in Florida over 12 times. All of those trips are favorite memories. Disney is truly my happy place. I've never been to Disneyland in California, but hope to remedy that next January. I'll also never forget the trip I took with my Dad and Bob across Lake Michigan to Chicago in their boat. We went through the locks and up the Chicago River, then raced a storm home.
- What is your favorite bible verse? It's probably cliched, Brooke, but I think it would have to be Philippians 4:13. "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Several people actually had this on the backs of their shirts and reading the verse gave me strength to pass most of them.
- Judy from the Grand Rapids Marathon wants to know, "If you had a hidden talent, what is it?" It isn't really a hidden talent, but I'm a really good handbell player. I can also play the flute even though I haven't really played since 10th grade.
- What inspires you? Thanks for this question, Keith. I think my inspiration is more of a "who" than a "what". Since my Dad's partner passed away in April 2010, he has lost over 100 pounds and started exercising - at the age of 70! Dad has posted for Shrinking Jeans a couple times. You can read his posts here and here.
- Nancy asks, "natural or dyed hair"? I can honestly say I have no idea what my natural hair color is anymore. I change my hair the way some people change their shoes. It's actually been dark for quite a while now! I'm finding darker is much easier and less expensive to maintain.
- Do you have any long-term running goals? BQ'ing? Charity goals? Pete is trying to get me to go out on a limb here! I would like to run a full marathon at some point (there, I said it), but right now I just can't commit the time to it. As for BQ'ing or fundraising, at this point in my life, I'm going to say, "no". I have no desire to BQ, but BBQ is a different story :)
The pace I would have to run doesn't even seem remotely possible. If I had more time (and a talent for it - I don't) I would fundraise for the American Cancer Society. Since fundraising is not my forte, I'm content to donate to other people's fundraising efforts.
- Who do you look up to? Who looks up to YOU? Keith, I really hope my children look up to me. I pray that I am setting a good example for them. I also hope my students look up to me. I have pictures from my races in my office and at least one girl joined Girls on the Run this year because I was training for my 25k. I look up to the people I've met who have made strong, positive changes in their lives. I also look up to God, because without His guidance, I'd be completely lost.
- Which LOST character do you see yourself most in and why? I love Brooke's questions! She asks this because she knows I'm in the process of watching the entire series on Netflix :) I would say I am most like Shannon. I tend to be really self-centered at times. I also see myself like Michael because I'd do anything to protect my kids. I'm going to keep thinking on this one. Maybe the answer will change as I get more into the series. (I just finished season 1.)
- Have you always worked outside the home or did you at some point stay home with the twins? Great question, Roo. I have always worked outside of the home, except for the 2 months I was on bedrest before they were born and for 6 weeks after their birth. When the twins were babies, I was the main income and held the insurance. I had to go back to work. When they started kindergarten, I left my hospital-based job and found a position in the public schools. I now have my summers and school breaks off but I still get to do the job that I love. It's the best of both worlds.
- What is the best way you get your motivation when you are feeling less than motivated? This question from Mary is hard for me to answer I think motivation comes from many different sources. Sometimes I will look at pictures of myself when I was heavier, sometimes I will send a shout out to my girls to tell them to make sure I work out, sometimes eating something crappy and then feeling like poo is enough motivation.
- What is your favorite color? HaHa - I prompted Roo to ask me this because everyone has been throwing these really hard, philosophical questions at me! My favorite color is currently orange.
- How did you meet your hubby? Nancy gave me some easy ones :) We met at Central Michigan University. M was in the marching band "Fire Up Chips!" with my roommate and also had a math class with her. He came over to our dorm room to borrow her notes since he always slept through class and told her he wanted to go to the bar. I had recently broken up with my long term douche-bag and my roommates convinced him to take me to the bar. (I think they were sick of seeing me mope around the dorm.) We had to ask for each other's names on the way to the Wayside. We've been together ever since. January 1990.
- What makes you You? Judy threw out some doozies this afternoon! I don't have the remotest idea how to answer this. It's like the dreaded interview question that you just try and BS your way through and hope they don't notice. I guess the "me" that is "me" is a pretty quiet person until I get to know you. I think I'm funny but I probably am NOT. I sing to the radio - badly. I love my family and my friends with all my heart and would do practically anything to protect them.
There we have it. 20 questions (and answers!) about me :) Hopefully you learned something about me. Send me more questions - I'd love to *try* answering them!