This Valentine's Day (or Valentine's Day Eve), I'm participating in a little exercise to spread the love about running. The good folks over at #RunChat are giving away a gu gift-pack to some random lover of running. Now, winning would be really cool, but mostly I just want to reflect a bit on why *I* run. So, in no particular order, my 10 reasons I love running:
- I've made some incredible friends through running, many IRL and many here on the interwebs. Regardless, without running I wouldn't have met many of the people I now consider to be my best friends. (I lied about order, This is, without a doubt, reason number 1.)
- The sense of accomplishment after completing a really hard run. Even if I complain about it or wasn't happy with my performance, I still lapped everyone sitting on their asses eating bonbons (do people still eat bonbons?).
- The massive amounts of calories I earn back after a weekend long run, which I then "spend" on beer.
- The swag. (Yes, I've become a bling-whore.)
- The ability to inspire others to get out and run. Or just walk. Or so something.
- I've gotten to run in some pretty amazing places. Along the beach where I grew up. The trail system here. Baltimore's Inner Harbor (Fitbloggin '11). Disney World (while training for my marathon). Disneyland (to run the Tinker Bell Half).
- Weight loss. (At least initially, as I've gotten more "fit" I've noticed running doesn't work the way it used to.)
- The 13.1 and 26.2 stickers I now sport on my car tell others I'm pretty bad-ass!
- I had an excuse to finally get a tattoo :)
- Running makes me a happier person and a better mom and wife. It is my stress relief and if I didn't have it, I'd probably be pretty hard to be around.
There you have it, my top 10 reasons for running. I'm sure there are more. What about you? What's your #1 reason for running (or yoga, or spinning, whatever's your thing)?