For me, 2012 was sort of the *anti* goal year. I didn't set specific goals, but I wrote this little Dear Me letter last January from the perspective of me today congradulating my 2012 self on all the goals I accomplished. Needless to say, they were pretty much all a bust.
- Weight back under control - Nope, I'm just as heavy as I was last January, if not up another pound or two. I'm not unhealthy, but I'm not at a happy weight for me.
- Run 12 races - Nope. I think I ran 8 plus a few non-official, virtual ones.
- Sub-30 5k - Yep! 28:15 on Thanksgiving Day!
- PR the 5/3 River Bank Run 25k - Nope, I spectated it in an aircast. My first DNS.
- PR the Grand Rapids Marathon - Nope, I ended up running the marathon relay. Didn't even try the half marathon there this year.
I only went 1 for 5 last year, which is really pathetic, but since they weren't set as official goals, does that make it less bad?
In 2013, I want to keep it simple and I'm putting these out there, even though a couple (ok all) of them scare the hell out of me and I don't know that I have what it takes to get there. Here we go.
- Run a 27:xx 5k
- Run a sub-60 min 10k
- Run a sub-2:15:xx half marathon
- Complete and Olympic-distance triathlon
- Get and stay healthy this year. This will probably be the hardest to keep.
Basically, this year I want to get faster and not hurt myself doing it. Running that 28 min 5k and having some 5 and 6 mile training runs near the 10 m/m pace lead me to think the first 2 goals might be achievable. I was supposed to hit that 2:15 half at Disney in November and it was not in the cards. Maybe I'll have better luck in Traverse City at the Bayshore Half. I figure, if the conditions are right and I show up to the starting line healthy, I might have a chance.
I'm also starting the year as a Mentor for 2 great ladies as they embark on the Shrinking Jeans Couch to 5k Virtual program. I can't wait to see how these gals will rock their 5ks in a couple months!!
What about you? Any fitness goals for 2013? Have you ever mentored another runner? I'd love any advice you could give.